frame left frame top frame right
generators header image
frame bottom

The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning While Using Generators

Generators are an excellent backup plan to electricity is the power fails for one reason or another. They are a great way to provide a constant supply of electricity despite power outages. However, using generators have proven to be extremely dangerous and even fatal for many people. Each year, thousands of people experience an assortment of sicknesses and injuries associated with generator usage. Many people die each year from the use of a generator. Most of the injuries and deaths that are related to using generators occur as a result of improper use and handling of generators. Of course, many injuries and deaths result from generator malfunction.


One of the most common occurrences that result from the improper use of generators includes carbon monoxide poisoning. If you have purchased a generator as a backup power supply, it is important that you understand the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning while using generators. Here, you will learn the common cause of carbon monoxide poisoning, the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, and how to treat a person who experiences carbon monoxide poisoning while using generators.

The most common cause for carbon monoxide poisoning while using a generator stems from the fact that a person has placed the generator in an enclosed area and experienced exposure to the toxic substance. It is very important that a person reads the instruction manual on how to operate their generator prior to using the machine for the first time. Generators are to be placed outdoors, in an open space when they are being used. They should not be placed in the home, in a shed, a garage, or an enclosed porch even if the windows are open. Many people place a canopy outdoors and then place the generator underneath. That is an acceptable form of protecting the generator as it poses no risk for carbon monoxide poisoning.

There are many symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning associated with the use of generators. The worse case scenario includes death and long term illness. The other symptoms are as follows: 1) A person may experience shortness of breath and/or wheezing 2) A person may experience nausea 3) Headaches are common 4) Dizziness is often experienced 5) A person may fee light headed 6) A person may experience various types of weakness in the body

If a person experiences carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of using a generator, there are a few things that should be done when symptoms are experienced, they are as follows: 1) A person should get away from the generator as soon as possible and get air that is fresh quickly 2) A person may be given water and a cool cloth to comfort them and relieve symptoms 3) The person subjected to carbon monoxide should be taken to the local emergency room as soon as possible for treatment

There are many dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning associated with using generators. This is increased when a person uses the generator in an inappropriate manner. It is very important to read all safety guidelines associated with the generator and to abide by them to avoid the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning while using a generator.


Generators News
Copyright 2018. All rights reserved.
bottom bar